
One of my most widely read friends, who started out using Goodreads, is now an enthusiastic Library Thing convert. The reason for her switch? Library Thing, in her words, attracts a "more academic group of readers." I talked to a few of my library friends about this, and while no one had an opinion regarding the comparative smarts or literary tastes of the two online book communities, several Goodreads users said they found it to be more user-friendly than Library Thing. Some people also noted that Library Thing charges its users after the first 200 books are catalogued [you can enter as many as you like for $10 (year) or $25 (life)], while Goodreads is free regardless of your inventory.
So far, I haven't used either site for social connections, although it is fun to share lists with my coworkers on Goodreads and I love reading everyone's reviews. However, since I had made the decision to skip my Barnes and Noble renewal this year, I took that $25 and bought a life-time Library Thing membership. I've imported most of my Goodreads lists onto Library Thing and have enjoyed exploring some of my friend's Library Thing activities (she's active in several of their groups). I've continued to keep up my Goodreads account as well, and for now it's working. My time is limited these days, so I haven't been able to do much more than catalog titles on both sites. I hope to spend some real time in the next few months exploring the various groups and links on both Library Thing and Goodreads. In my opinion, they're both great communities:)
2 comments:
After giving AquaBrowser a look the other day I was thinking maybe that would make a better/easier/more accessible book-tracking site than LibraryThing, once enough people start putting up their lists.
Hi Scoop! Haven't gotten that far in AquaBrowser yet, but now I'm really curious:) Will give that a look on Saturday. BTW, your kitty looks very sweet!
Post a Comment